A Montfort resident since 1960 and a property owner on the lake since 1979. Jacques is a past president of the lake association and has served as a consultant on several committees within the Municipality of Wentworth-North. He has a deep personal interest in water quality and has been instrumental implementing stream bed regeneration programs. Jacques is an accomplished athlete having competed in numerous triathlons, cross country skiing events, biking, running and swimming. He is a Canadian Masters Swimming Champion in 1500 meters freestyle. Jacques has also been for 20 years the sole owner of TSM inc. A company offering consulting and installation of sophisticated telephone systems.
Hélène has been a resident and property owner on our lake since 1992. She appreciates the unaltered environment common to this area and especially enjoys the exceptional water quality of our lake. She was quick to discover the numerous activities available at her doorstep. Swimming, hiking and mountain biking in the summer and cross-country skiing in the winter. Helene is an accomplish athlete having achieved high competitive results in both golf and swimming. Helene holds a Masters of business administration (MBA) from McGill University and is our obvious choice as administrator for "The Villas". She servedt on the board of several non-profit organisations most notably the Foundation of College Ste-Marcelline and Ville St-Laurent Swim Masters.
It's Quite A Story
The village itself began when "Société de Colonisation de Montréal" together with Father Rousselot proposed the foundation of an orphanage outside the city of Montréal. Destined to create a better environment for orphaned children of age, it became what is now known as Montfort.
The "Société de Colonisation" bought the complete lots of Range 9, 10 and 11 of Wentworth County and founded "Notre-Dame-des-Lacs", which has now become "Notre-Dames-de-Montfort". In 1881, a saw mil was built, as well as another another building which would house the children. The construction terminated around May 1883. Father Rousselot then decided to relocate a religious community in France named "Les Montfortains" for the adequate operation of such an orphanage.
In 1892 a company called "Chemin de Fer de Colonisation de Montfort" was created. Eventually it was taken over by the Canadian National Railroad. The train played a vital role in the economics expansion of the area. The tourist industry began moving upwards in the late eighteen hundreds, and Montfort became a veritable village. In 1883 alone there was approximately thirty families in the area, and by 1896 the families doubled to sixty. The general store was opened in 1897 and the first schoolhouse in 1910.
In 1955 the orphanage was judged inadequate in areas of health and hygiene. To make things worse, it was a fire hazard. The final decision was to demolish the building. On January 24, 1958, the municipality of Wentworth-North, including the villages of Montfort, Laurel and St-Michel was created On the 30th of October 1959, a contract to demolish the orphanage and other buildings pertaining to it was tendered. The work was terminated on the 1st of May 1960. The economic consequences on the area of Montfort were felt ever since. For various reasons, less tourists were coming to the village, and because the orphanage was demolish, all services to it were ended. So in 1962 the C.N.R. removed the tracks and all the re-usable equipment. New roads were built to give greater access to the village, but Montfort never regained the popularity it once held. The school was closed in 1972 and the general store in 1975.
Although we may never again see the days when Montfort was the place to go in the Laurentians, it will always retain the peace and tranquility that still attracts a number of summer residents to quiet cottages along the lake...